…and I can say that I’ve mostly felt liberation and closure since formally winding things up here. Although I’ve also missed having a place to get my thoughts out into the open.
I do want to say a sincere and enormous thank you to everyone who commented, emailed or otherwise reacted to my news. I was surprised and touched!
The last month has been a bit of a closure for me. As of today, I have zero bottles of ink, notebooks or pens on my ‘incoming’ list. My pen count is at nearly 40. I’m struggling to find ones to list for sale, but I’ve found my interest in new models has evaporated — and good thing too, since I’ve decided to aim for “No Buy 2020”.
I’m concentrating on using my pens, and my new job is making that easy. I’ve never written so many pens dry.
But the recent closure comes after a month of new arrivals.
So what’s in since my last SotC post?
- ASC Arco Bronze Gladiatore Medio F. Arco is beautiful, the nib is wet. A surprisingly competent pen.
- Pelikan M600 White Tortoise B. Bought used. Not inspiring, but at least it’s not as small as the M400. The binde has imperfections, which makes me sad. The seller didn’t disclose them, and it’s been sat at a friend’s house in the US for months so it’s too late for me to complain.
- Delta Stantuffo Oro with Masuyama-ground M gold nib. I was not expecting to love it, but I really do. It’s very comfortable and a stunning writer.
- Montblanc Martele F. This was my goodbye grail pen, and the hammered silver is as gorgeous as I hoped.
- Graf von Faber-Castell Pen of the Year 2008 M. Arrived today, my final pen purchase.
- Desiderata Precession blue delrin EF. Much better than I hoped. The EF is a hairlinee.
- Scribo 3 EF. At real risk of becoming my favourite writer. It’s had a lot of use since my review and I’m enjoying it more every time I use it.
- Visconti Wheatfields Under Crows M. A terrible nib, but a pretty pen and a match for my daughter’s.
- Aurora Black Mamba EF. Not the EF it’s labelled, but actually a really good writer, and SO STEALTH.
- Nettuno Vesuvius Stub. The iZods special edition. The threads are sharp and the stub was shit out of the box, but it feels surprisingly premium. Good value for money.
And what’s out?
- Pilot Custom Urushi. Too big. Shame.
- Eureka Symmetry and Asymmetry. Didn’t connect with me emotionally.
- Ferris Wheel Press Brush in Printmaker’s Teal. Too small.
- Lamy Studio Aquamarine. Was outclassed.
- Onoto Magna Classic. Three-turn cap meant I didn’t use it much.
- Montblanc 149 flex. Found a better home.
So I’m left with this as my list for the year ahead. I’m thrilled to bits. 12 Italians. 12 Germans. 5 Japanese. And the rest down from there.
|ASC Gladiatore Medio Arco|
|Aurora 88 Nettuno|
|Aurora Black Mamba|
|Aurora Oceano Pacifico|
|Conid Kingsize Titanium Flattop|
|Delta Dolce Vita Stantuffo Oro|
|Desiderata Precession delrin|
|Desiderata Soubriquet Cocobolo Mk2|
|Franklin-Christoph Pocket 66 Ice|
|Graf von Faber-Castell Pen of the Year 2008 M|
|Lamy 2000 Bauhaus Blue|
|Leonard Slattery Pens A Haon|
|Montblanc Agatha Christie|
|Montegrappa Extra The Sea|
|Nakaya Portable Cigar 17mm Toki-Tamenuri|
|Namiki Urushi 20|
|Omas Milord Ludovico Einaudi|
|Pelikan M1005 Stresemann|
|Pelikan M600 white tortoise|
|Pelikan M805 Ocean Swirl|
|Sailor Pro Gear King of Pen|
|Visconti London Fog|
|Visconti Wheatfield with Crows|
|Waterman Carene waves|