I have 20 pens in my collection at the moment, after stripping out my for-sale and my toys.
I thought it would be a quick little diversion to see what if anything they had in common.
I counted up how they fared on ten different attributes, from trim colour to nib width to price paid, and which the most popular answer was:
- Material: plastic accounted for 13
- Colour: 6 are black
- Country of origin: 8 from Germany
- Nib width: 11 write a medium-ish line
- Nib softness: 16 are firm
- Clip: 17 have them
- Trim colour: 11 are silver or grey
- Filling mechanism: 11 are piston
- Nib material: 15 are gold
- Cap mechanism: 15 are screw
- Value: 7 are over £750
Only one pen landed in the most popular group against all 10 questions, making it Mr (or Miss) modal average.
The Montblanc Agatha Christie.
Surprised? I was. But it is a great pen.
If you asked the same ten questions of your pen horde, what would the most popular type be? Does any one (or more) pen fit every most popular category?